California State University students offer free tax preparation help to those in need
Long Beach, California – Students at the College of Business at California State University, Long Beach are offering free tax preparation help to families earning $58,000 or less per year, low-income students, senior residents, non-residents, and individuals with poor English proficiency until April 9.
A volunteer income tax assistance clinic, which is sponsored by the Internal Revenue Service, provides the free service. State and federal tax forms were filled out by students during virtual interviews at California State University, Long Beach last year, which led to more than $700,000 in refunds.
The faculty advisor for the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program, Professor Sudha Krishnan, said, “VITA is win-win for our students and the community. The students get hands-on experience while also helping those in the community who often do not have the disposable income to pay for a professional tax preparer.”
Free support is offered for both walk-in and drop-off services. There are no appointments required. The completion of a COVID pre-screening form prior to arriving on campus is mandatory for all clients. Those who want to use the service are encouraged to attend Room 243 in the College of Business Building.
The service is available Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. and on Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
An in-person tax day will be held on March 12 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., and it will offer help for individuals who do not have a Social Security number but do have an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number.
Participants are required to bring the following original documentation with them:
- Government issued photo ID or driver’s license.
- Original Social Security card or documents of individual taxpayer identification number.
- All W-2s and 1099s (if any).
- Other income and expense information.
- Total tuition fees and expenses paid (form 1098-T).
- Total expenses paid for child’s daycare if any.
- Daycare or dependent care provider’s address, phone and SSN or EIN.
- Bank account and routing number for direct deposit of refund.
- Last year’s tax return is helpful, but not required.
- To file taxes electronically for a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.